The death toll from Typhoon Hinnamnor is now ten

The death toll from Typhoon Hinnamnor is now ten

The death toll from Typhoon Hinnamnor is now ten

More than 600 schools were closed across the country and around 250 domestic flights were canceled during the day.

Article written by

Published

Update

Reading time: 1 minute.

The death toll from Typhoon Hinnamnor which hit South Korea is now ten, authorities announced on Wednesday (7 September). Two people remain missing. The typhoon, one of the most powerful to hit the country in recent decades, hit Jeju Island (south) overnight before heading to the port city of Busan, where big waves and heavy rain damaged streets and shops. on the sea.

In the southeastern port city of Pohang, one of the worst affected regions, seven bodies and two survivors were pulled from an underground parking lot under a flood-submerged residential building. , said the center for disaster prevention and management. They were trapped after going out to move their vehicle during heavy rain, according to local media. Two more deaths were confirmed Wednesday, respectively in Pohang and Gyeongju, an inland city, where one person died when a home was buried in a landslide, authorities said. On Tuesday, a 70-year-old died in Pohang after being engulfed by floodwaters.

The typhoon forced more than 4,700 people to flee their homes and destroyed about 12,000 homes and buildings. Nearly 90,000 homes were without electricity across the country as the storm passed, but most of them had been powered by Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Prior to the typhoon’s landing, South Korean authorities closed more than 600 schools across the country as a precaution, and local airlines canceled about 250 domestic flights.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.